On June 30, 2005, Nathan Kleinman began a hunger strike to raise awareness of the ongoing genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan. Since February 2003, at least 400,000 people have died due to violence, starvation and disease. More than 2.5 million people have been displaced from their towns and villages and now live in camps lacking adequate food, water, shelter, sanitation, and health care. It is LONG PAST time for the international community to take action.

Hunger Strike for Darfur

On June 30, 2005, Nathan Kleinman began a hunger strike to raise awareness of the ongoing genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan. Since February 2003, at least 400,000 people have died due to violence, starvation and disease. More than 2.5 million people have been displaced from their towns and villages and now live in camps lacking adequate food, water, shelter, sanitation, and health care. It is LONG PAST time for the international community to take action.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

And now...

You can find me "blogging" (for lack of a better term) at my latest venture: The International Aurora - at http://internationalaurora.blogspot.com.

Right now it's a collection of essays, mostly, but I hope to expand the "blog" into a more expansive endeavor.

Darfur has certainly continued to be a major topic in my writings and in my life.

I think I've grown very much since the hunger strike. My activism has continued - though in very different forms. Over the past few years I've learned so much more about the situation in Darfur and throughout Sudan, and so my opinions (as far as what we must do) have grown much more nuanced.

Simon Deng, with whom I participated in the first Sudan Freedom Walk (NY to DC), and for whom I organized the second, European Sudan Freedom Walk (from Brussels to The Hague), taught me that the problems of Darfur exist throughout Sudan. Genocide is an issue throughout the country, and has been throughout its recent history. Simon taught me about modern day slavery, and colonialism alive and well in Sudan.

I've learned from my Darfuri friends in Philadelphia (especially Dr. Abdelgabar Adam and Elgasim Salih), and in Holland (especially Abdelhadi Abbaker and Ahmed Mohamedain) that the complexity of Sudan exists in miniature in Darfur as well. They've taught me about the richness of Darfuri food, family, culture and customs. They've shown me the importance of Darfuri culture to the world.

I've had the opportunity to twice meet with Chairman Abdelwahid Al-Nur, founder of the Sudanese Liberation Movement, the main rebel movement in Darfur. He shared with me the same pain and sadness I've seen from countless Darfuri exiles. He also exuded a buoyant optimism, full of faith that John Garang's vision of a New Sudan is within reach. Al-Nur wondered aloud when the United States will realize who its real allies are in Sudan. Our government has slighted and ignored him.

In short, over the past two years I've realized that the only solution to the genocide in Darfur is a political solution. Peacekeepers may be able to help achieve that goal, but they alone cannot assure lasting peace. A genuine political solution is absolutely necessary.

This does not mean I've given up on radical activism as a force for change in Sudan. There will always be a great deal of work to be done on that front. I'll do my best to keep you appraised of what work is being done, what you can do, and what we all must do.

For now I'm channelling most of my energies into my new blog: The International Aurora.

Darfur is already the most frequently discussed topic, but we live in a big world bursting with injustice, so it is by no means the only issue.

Thanks for your support of this new endeavor.

1 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both of them are nice blogs


Darfur Daily News

 

Post a Comment

<< Home