On June 30, 2005, Nathan Kleinman began a hunger strike to raise awareness of the ongoing genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan. Since February 2003, at least 400,000 people have died due to violence, starvation and disease. More than 2.5 million people have been displaced from their towns and villages and now live in camps lacking adequate food, water, shelter, sanitation, and health care. It is LONG PAST time for the international community to take action.

Hunger Strike for Darfur

On June 30, 2005, Nathan Kleinman began a hunger strike to raise awareness of the ongoing genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan. Since February 2003, at least 400,000 people have died due to violence, starvation and disease. More than 2.5 million people have been displaced from their towns and villages and now live in camps lacking adequate food, water, shelter, sanitation, and health care. It is LONG PAST time for the international community to take action.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Day 8



Sundown tonight marks the first full week of my hunger strike. I am still strong, energized, and healthy (a fact that was confirmed by my first visit to a doctor early this afternoon). I have been truly inspired by all of the good wishes I have received from around the world, including from a refugee camp in Darfur itself. That letter reminded me of something I had read in the news before beginning my strike: that many refugees, already at risk of starvation, are bravely considering a hunger strike themselves. It is my hope that we here in comfort and security can be convinced to act in their stead. They are already facing such horrible, deadly circumstances, and they will need all of their strength to survive and rebuild Darfur. They should be an inspiration to us all.

I am heartened by the response I have received so far, especially in the last few days, but today is certainly a tragic day, beyond the everyday tragedy of Darfur. I awoke at 8AM and soon heard the news of the shocking rush hour attacks in London. One of my best friends in the world rides the tube every day, and I miraculously reached his family by phone on only my second try. Thankfully, they are all okay. My heart goes out to everyone whose lives have been forever changed by the day’s events.

It bears mentioning at this moment that the issues of Darfur and terrorism are actually quite linked. I have avoided making this argument in the past because I truly believe it should be enough that Sudan is perpetrating a genocide, but Sudan is also a major state sponsor of terrorism. We should intervene in Sudan to stop the genocide, but we would also be wholly justified to intervene in the name of the so-called “war on terror.” I would argue that we have many more reasons to invade Sudan than we ever had to invade Iraq. Sudan was the last place Osama bin Laden lived before he moved to Afghanistan. It is a known base of major terrorist organizations, and is one of the few states perenially found on the US State Department’s list of state sponsors of terrorism. And considering the lawlessness and inaccessibility of so many huge swaths of Sudan (including Darfur, the Nuba Mountains, and other regions), it may well be considered a failed state. It is most assuredly a safe haven for terrorists, and its proximity to the Middle East and Europe makes it a source of instability throughout the region.

I know that following this latest terror attack it will be difficult to get much notice in the media right now, but it is imperative that we try anyway. This genocide will not end unless the American people and the people of the world take serious notice, and make a concerted effort to convince their leaders that intervention is absolutely justifiable and necessary. I am generally a pacifist (my initial reaction whenever we start dropping bombs is to head to the White House in protest), but we need to take action now. We cannot allow the media to be distracted by terrorists, or Supreme Court vacancies, or hurricaines. Nor can we allow ourselves to be distracted by the trials and stresses of our truly priviliged lives. The lives of over 3 million people—and indeed the survival of their very culture—depend on it.

3 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger Owl said...

When I learnt of the train bombings I got online and was amazed by the quick response of the online blogging community. There was this rush of happiness because people care so much
And then I was angry because-
what sort of response has Darfur recieved? It's been going on for ages and yet so know about it, let alone care. Why is it that people are responding to the London situation while Darfur remains virtually ignored?

Many many kudos for your strike.

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,
My name is Kristin and I study Human Rights at the University of Essex just outside of London. It has certainly been a difficult few days here.
I found a link to your blog from Josh Marshall's blog.
The situation in Darfur has greatly impacted me and your courage and convicition in regards to this issue leaves me speachless...

Take care,
Kristin
kantin@essex.ac.uk
US Citizen

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nathan,
I support you in your cause. I agree that many things distract our government from issuses that are urgent. I hope your hunger does not go unnoticed by them. It has not gone unnoticed by me. I will link to your blog in my livejournal. Thank you so much for doing something. You are a brave soul to stand up so directly for what you feel is right. Please take care of yourself and conserve your energy for the comming days. I will keep you in my thoughts daily.

Trisha Hilton-Mills
Kikohilton@hotmail.com
US Citizen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home