On June 30, 2005, Nathan Kleinman began a hunger strike to raise awareness of the ongoing genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan. Since February 2003, at least 400,000 people have died due to violence, starvation and disease. More than 2.5 million people have been displaced from their towns and villages and now live in camps lacking adequate food, water, shelter, sanitation, and health care. It is LONG PAST time for the international community to take action.

Hunger Strike for Darfur

On June 30, 2005, Nathan Kleinman began a hunger strike to raise awareness of the ongoing genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan. Since February 2003, at least 400,000 people have died due to violence, starvation and disease. More than 2.5 million people have been displaced from their towns and villages and now live in camps lacking adequate food, water, shelter, sanitation, and health care. It is LONG PAST time for the international community to take action.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Day 7

As Nathan concludes a full week without food, leaders of the world's largest industrialized democracies gathered in Scotland for the Group of Eight Summit. Prime Minister Tony Blair, this year's president of the summit, plans to focus on global warming and Africa during meetings over the next several days. He is encouraging G-8 countries to double aid to Africa to $50 billion by 2010, from the current $25 billion, and is pressuring member nations to increase giving for all foreign aid to the equivalent of 0.7 percent of national incomes by 2015. Not surprisingly, President Bush has been vocally resistent to Blair's agenda, both on Africa and global warming. Though Darfur has received passing mentions in news reports, it is unclear whether Blari is planning to address the situation during the summit.

To learn more about the history of the G8, visit the University of Toronto's informative site.

For those of you who are wondering about Nate's physical health, he is beginning to feel some weakness but is still upbeat. I would have thought that seven days on only water would make a person fuzzy-headed, but he's as lucid and coherent as ever. He has lost 15 pounds, and will be seeing a doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be posting himself some time in the next day or two.

5 Comments:

At 1:19 AM, Blogger seraphya said...

I feel like I should join in this hunger strike, as I have been looking for something productive to do this summer, and I have for a long time felt like I have not been doing enough for the people of darfur.

While I am willing to go without the food and endure, I know that it will take much time to solve the issue and as I am only 17 I do not want to permenently destroy my body. Do you know what exactly the long term medical consequences of a hunger strike such as this are?

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Max, Nate's brother. I've also strongly considered joining the hunger strike, but for various reasons have not as of yet. However, I did do a little research, and the most helpful thing I found was at this site: http://www.studentsagainstsweatshops.org/docs/hunger_strike_facts.doc

I would love for you, and anybody else, to join my brother in the strike, but obviously nobody can tell you to do this - it's deeply personal and the decision should come from you.

I will say this, though - even though Nate is totally fasting and drinking nothing but water, you would not have to do the same thing. You could drink water and one specific variety of juice, or take vitamins if it would make you more comfotable. It would still be a powerful statement, especially if it were somebody as young as you.

Again, though, I'm not trying to pressure you in any way. If you choose to hunger strike, wonderful. But you don't have to. There are things you can do that do not involve putting your personal health at risk. The biggest help right now, I'd say, would be spreading the word. Make sure that people know about this. The more people know, the more people will talk. If we get enough people, with a loud enough voice, it will be impossible to ignore.

-Max.

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger sleepless in sudan said...

Hi there,

Thought you might be interested to hear that it's not just US citizens considering a hunger strike.

Over here in Kalma, Darfur's biggest camp for displaced people, several residents have told me that they will go on a hunger strike if the Sudanese government forcibly relocates them to Al Salam, another (much less secure) site just a few miles down the road.

Yep, that's right - people already facing starvation threatenning to go on hunger strike. Sounds crazy, but it's merely a reflection of how strongly the displaced communities here in South Darfur feel about the persisting insecurity outside of the large, well-established camps. Despite government promises to protect civilians and disarm Janjaweed militias, everyone knows that it is still unsafe for people to leave the relative security of the camps.

UN pressure (following several security incidents, including an attack on a bus last week in which four people were killed) seems to be helping in preventing the forced relocation for now, but if I have learned anything here in Sudan it's that nothing can ever be predicted with certainty.

Will let you know what happens over here in this little corner of Darfur - wonder what the IDPs will think of the fact that they have a fellow hunger striker over in America?

Sleepless in Sudan
http://sleeplessinsudan.blogspot.com

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nathan and family,
I read your article in today's Dayton paper and was very moved. I hope Jim DeBrosse will continue to cover your story. Have you contacted the AP yet? Let me know if I can be of any help in getting the word out, I am in public relations.
Cheers,
Lara
laramer2001 @ yahoo. com
(take out the spaces)

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger the-everything-club said...

I ran into the story by accident via www.anewkindofchristian.com, and I'm really challenged and heartbroken by the situation in Africa...again. It's really unbelievable. I sent an email to everyone I know challenging them to get involved, and I've also been talking about it on my blog (jordankurtz.blogspot.com). Do you know of any other effective ways that someone living in Canada can get involved with this? Thanks so much, tell Nathan that Canada loves him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home